Whew! March was a fun month, but oh so busy! I’m looking forward to a quiet spring in Phoenix before the true summer hits. There are all sorts of fun things to look forward to – Game of Thrones, wildflowers, open windows, and kitty time in the sunshine (smile).
I think March has been the most successful month so far in terms of sticking with my goals. Maybe I made them too easy (smile), or maybe they were just something I really felt compelled to do. Either way, it worked!
Here’s a quick recap:
1. Take an aptitude test. I actually ended up going with the Strengths Finder 2.0 test/book. My friend had experience with the test through her job and highly recommended it. It involves 30 minutes of answering questions and then essentially gives your dominant strengths. I enjoyed the fact that it places so much emphasis on the positive. Instead of constantly trying to improve our weaknesses, this book encourages us to improve our strengths. I found it truly interesting how radical this idea is! It certainly helped me realize some of the reasons why I’m so displeased with my current work efforts, and gave me a few ideas for improvement. I even signed up for the first class I’ll need for a new certification! It starts in May and although I’m a little nervous, I’m definitely excited. I consider it a win all around on this one! (smile)
2. Be present each day and appreciate the time with my family. I was a bit nervous about spending 17 consecutive days back at my dad’s house. That’s probably the longest stretch I’ve been back in well over a decade, which is an odd thought. But I actually found a great deal of relief being there and being able to spend some time with my family. I ran into some hard realizations, but they helped me let go of a lot of guilt so I’m grateful for them. I tried to consciously engage with my family and we actually all had fun – for once I didn’t want to come back to Arizona! I never thought I’d see that day…
3. Find something satisfying in each day – and photograph it! So my photos weren’t always posted on the exact day, or always in exact order, but I count it as a win just remembering to take the time to snap the photo (smile). It was a fun effort and I’m glad I’ll have those memories documented.
4. Just breath – and write. I love writing this blog, but I also generally tend to devote most of my writing efforts here. There’s nothing wrong with that necessarily, but it’s also helpful for me to write about all of the stuff I don’t feel comfortable posting to the world. I revised my posting schedule a bit and restructured the timing of the different types of posts in an effort to give me time to enjoy both my blog and my journal. I had great success with this last month and I feel like it helped my mental health quite a bit. I’m hoping I can continue on in the coming months!
Now for April’s Ambitions!
1. Open up. I am the epitome of an introvert. I could stay in my own little world for months at a time and be relieved that I don’t have to conform to any expectations but my own. But being a hermit isn’t the only way to get around that issue. I need to be more open and honest with myself and with others in my life. This is sort of the umbrella goal for the month.
2. Write more freely. I want to write more – both in my personal journal and on this blog. I love sharing travel stories and my photos, but I want this to be a personal space as well. I’ve noticed that the blogs I most enjoy reading all have a more personal component to them. Seeing as I’ve been at this (seriously) for less than a year, I’ve got a lot to learn! But I’m excited to do just that (smile).
3. Volunteer. I recently shared my passion for animal charities and volunteering with shelters. Writing that post made me realize just how much I missed being a part of that experience, so I’ve decided to take the plunge and commit this month to volunteering at a local animal shelter. I think it’ll benefit me just as much as the cute & cuddly (big smile).
4. Spend as much time outdoors as possible! This perfect weather only lasts so long here in the desert. I intend to enjoy every possible moment I can of it outdoors!!
What are your ambitions for April??